Canola oil for oiling the muffin pan
2 large green cooking apples
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/4 cups oat bran
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 12-ounce can apple-juice concentrate, thawed
1 cup water
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Lightly oil a muffin pan for 12 muffins. Peel and core apples; chop them coarsely. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together pastry flour, white flour, oat bran, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Add thawed apple-juice concentrate, chopped apples, and enough water to make a light batter.
4. Mix just enough to moisten all ingredients. Divide batter among the muffin cups and bake till lightly browned, 25-30 minutes.
5. Remove muffins from cups while hot.